Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Alcan Drive

I went on an adventure a couple weeks ago and it was pretty great.

I drove down the Alcan Highway (the highway that runs from Alaska and down the majority of Canada), and continued south until I arrived home in Utah.

It was cool. I really enjoyed the first three days of the trip in particular. I took six days to do it--not too fast and not too slow, and I was able to get some writing done on a lot of days as well--and my stops included the following awesomely named places: Destruction Bay, Toad River, Grand Prairie, Red Deer. Also Helena, Montana.

I listened to the audio version of Ready Player One, which I have many opinions about, but will save them for later. I also listened to various episodes of The Adventure Zone podcast, Bossypants by Tina Fey, Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick, and the Graphic Audio version of The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (it was like a 50 hour drive so I had a lot of listening time, and it was actually pretty cool).

If you ever have the opportunity to make the drive, I recommend it. It's definitely an adventure (especially in late March/early April, which is definitely still Winter in AK and Canada), and I enjoyed it.

The following are a series of selfies and other photos I took on the trip that are surprisingly boring but constitute the majority of my documentation from the thing.

Prepping for the trip. Northern Canada doesn't have wifi or cellular service for hundreds of miles at a time, so I had to tackle it old school.

Departing from my parents' home in Eagle River, AK.

Getting gas in Glennallen. Hey, I warned you these wouldn't be exciting.

Where I stayed in Destruction Bay.

Notice my incredibly versatile selfie expressions. Also sunrise as I left Destruction Bay. Also, Edward M. Kovel accompanied me on my quest.

Hot Springs in Liard River.

The roads were usually much better than this. The views were typically this awesome.

On rare occasion, the roads were like this. What road, you ask? That sheet of ice. Yeah. That sheet of ice is the road.

Biggest mall in North America in Edmonton. My fuzzy black sweatshirt was my constant companion, if you couldn't tell. Other than in the hot springs, clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment